Over the years I have come to develop my own methodology when it comes to design. Of course, every piece of work is different, but I have found that there are some general principles that I keep in mind each time I work my way through a new project.
One of the first steps for any design project should be identifying with the target audience and spending some time understanding where they are coming from. We all relate to the world by pulling from common references. Understanding others by how they relate to these common references is the success behind great design.
This unspoken language is the basis of powerful communication and, internally, this helps build belief structures within creative teams. All of this helps align ideas and facilitate strong teamwork.
2. Distill its message
Ok, I know what I want you to feel, so now what?
Remove the layers. Find the simplest expression or thought of what you would like to communicate.
Expression comes in various shapes and forms, but we often get trapped in our own common references of what works. Spending time researching and exploring reveals thought patterns and relationships that make things work better.
4. Create a relationship
Relationships are entertaining. The brain is looking for patterns constantly.
5. Explore some more
Exploration is the luxury every designer deserves. Spend time researching, and exploring even more.
6. Be consistent
Consistency is a demonstration of intelligence and consideration. Consideration builds trust.
7. Add value.
Add an element of surprise. It’s the unexpected that makes something stand apart and that makes someone remember it.
Tahier Variawa is head of conceptual design for RADAR which is really an excuse to think about everything and anything. RADAR is a before the line, beyond the line, outside the line kind of agency, which is why he likes it.
T +27 21 418 5185 | F +27 21 422 2073 | E email@example.com
Postal address : 21 Rose Str, Bo Kaap, Cape Town, South Africa, 8001
JOHANNESBURG: Unit 102, Urban Fox, 274 Fox Street, Maboneng
For new business please contact Jason Ray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 082 567 0365
CAPE TOWN: 21 Rose Str, Bo Kaap, Cape Town
For new business please contact Kyle Sarkas, email@example.com, 084 645 8721
What is Radar?
- We are a multi-expression, multi-discipline agency.
- We are advertising without borders.
- Working before the line, with sharp, non-traditional business strategy…
- Through the line in a variety of media…
- And beyond the line, seeking new solutions that have resonance with new and constantly-evolving markets.
What do we believe?
- That people are the new medium.
- That our job as brand storytellers is to twang their souls.
- That we need to make just one person care enough to share.
- That ‘niche’ is possible, even en-masse.
- Financial, certainly, we know that happy money can change people’s lives.
- But also fashion, food and the things that bring fun to our existence.
What do we offer our clients?
- Depth. We employ intellectuals. Brand psychologists. People who think!
- True participation. We put our account management inside your office, a working member of your team… you are more than welcome to work in ours.
- Ideas. We strive for a smarter world.
What drives us?
- Radar is creative agency in the true sense of the word.
Our DTP artist plays the trumpet… the head of operations
creates beautiful pottery… our activations head is a qualified
make up artist… ours suits take magical photographs,
make beautiful music, and shine front of stage in their spare
time… the list goes on.
- Creativity of thought, and the beautiful expression of that
thought is what drives us.
- Our people are wonderful and they come in every gender and
from all kinds of cultures. On the outside they are mostly black
and white. On the inside they have minds exploding with colour,
passion and ideas.